L E A D E R S F O R U M 2 0 1 1
October 27-28, San Francisco
Please find below information on the 2011 Leaders Forum to be held in San Francisco. We have accomplished many great things in past Leaders Fourms and I expect this year will be no different. By design, you will find peers sitting next to you hailing from research libraries, public libraries and
This year, we have a wonderful opportunity to shape the In-Library Lending program that was launched with your help in early 2011.
As such, this years Forum will be focused on the second year (and beyond) strategy , user community needs, library community opportunities, content selection, governance, tool sets and, yes, sustainability!
In addition, we will having several outstanding speakers join us from the Books in Browsers tech conference that Peter Brantley is hosting in San Francisco. I think you will find this quite interesting.
Global Director of Books
Thursday Oct. 27:
Wednesday, Oct. 26:
Join the Internet Archive, O'Reilly Media, and 150 of the most exciting and innovative leaders in publishing on Thursday night, October 27, at the Internet Archive at 300 Funston Ave in San Francisco for Books in Browsers: Ignite! The reception starts at 5:30 pm, with the Ignite program running from 6:30-7:30 pm.
- 7:30 AM, Internet Archive Digitization Center, 1127 Clement Avenue at Funston
- 7:45 AM - Tour of Internet Archive Headquarters
- 8-8:45 AM - Bagels and Coffee (Light Breakfast)
- 9 AM - Richmond Branch of SFPL: Back entrance, 393 10th Avenue, between Clement/Geary
– Introductory remarks, agenda review – Robert Miller
- 9:15-10:00 AM - Brewster Kahle: “In-Library Lending, A forward thinking vision”
- 10:00–11:15 AM - Group go-around (less than 10 mintues each): come prepared to highlight your eBook strategy, Lending Strategy, Issues and Goals, Problems you are facing, and Solutions
- 11:15–11:30 AM - Break
- 11:30–12:00 PM - Technical Overview of IA In-library lending
- 12:00–1:00 PM – Session 1 of Library discussion, moderator Tom Garnett: Governance
- 1:00-2:00 PM, Lunch - Sandwich buffet
- 2:00–3:00 PM - Session 2 of Library discussion, moderator Barbara Preece: User Needs, Libraries view
- 3:00–3:45 PM Session 3 of Library discussion, moderator Tim Rogers: User needs, Patrons – View of existing options, what should the In-Library need to deliver
- 3:45–4:00 PM Break
- 4:00-4:45 PM Speaker: Kevin Franco, Enthrill
- 4:45-5:15 PM Speaker: Brian O'Leary, Magellan Media Partners
- 5:30 PM PM, Books in Browsers Reception, Internet Archive, 300 Funston Avenue
Ignite talks are special format where each speaker has just five minutes to share their personal and professional visions in 20 slides, auto-advancing every 15 seconds. The list of talks is online at http://bib.archive.org/2011/09/12/books-in-browsers-ignite/
The Ignite program will bring the latest news from the Archive's Open Library project plus 10 of the hottest new companies from around the world, many of them just emerging from stealth, that are defining the future of reading and publishing. Several of these start-ups will be presenting their work for the very first time.
Join us for a couple of hours on a Thursday night, and get a peek at the future of books! Press are welcome.
Friday Oct. 28:
- 8:30 AM, Richmond Branch of SFPL - Light Breakfast will be provided
- 9 AM Recap of Day One
- 9:30-10:15 AM Speaker: Michael Porter, Librarian Wunderkid
- 10:15–10:30 AM - Break
- 10:30–12:00 - Session 4 - Building the In-Library and going Live – Content, Promotion and Support
- 12:00–1:00 Session 5 - Sustainability and Funding
- 1 PM, Lunch, Buffet - Paninis
- 2:00 – 3:00 PM Tech Speaker
- Further Agenda TBA
San Francisco Airport
Map of SFO
Transportation From the Airport
Oakland Airport information
Transportation from the Airport
Rental Car Suggestion
Fox Rent A Car - local company, great rates
GO Lorrie's Airport Shuttle
White Gloves Limo
Group rate of $189/night at the Kabuki Hotel - No longer available
Group rate of $99/night at the Hotel del Sol (confirmed!)
If you need help booking a hotel room, please contact Ginger:
ginger @ archive.org or 4 1 5 2 3 8 1 7 1 4.